April 8 , 2009 Newsletter and Auction Update
On the heels of the recent visit to Alaska by Anglo American’s Chairman, we’ve got a few more noteworthy visits coming up soon.
Secretary of Interior scheduled to visit Alaska
Ken Salazar, the Secretary of Interior, is going to visit Dillingham in Bristol Bay on Monday, April 13. He’ll be accompanied by Alaska’s junior U.S. Senator Mark Begich, and they will be hearing from residents of the Bristol Bay region on a number of issues. The Secretary will continue his visit to Alaska with meetings in Anchorage on Tuesday, April 14.
Alaskans Heading to London to confront Anglo American, Pebble Mine Investors
Next week, Bristol Bay conservation leaders are heading to England to attend London premiere of Red Gold documentary; meet with UK press, fly-fishing celebrities, and jewelry retailers. See all the details at the new www.AK2UK.com Web site!
Bristol Bay Movie Nights
We’ve now got a planning guide to set up a Bristol Bay movie night in your area. Show Red Gold and Equilibrium to spread the word about Pebble Mine and the fight for Bristol Bay! E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information on how to host an event.
Bristol Bay Online Fundraising Auction Update
The second annual fundraising auction for Bristol Bay has less than a month to go. Gross proceeds have topped $51,000. We are going to top the 2008 auction results! Thank you to the blogs, Web sites and magazines who are helping spread the word. The greater the number of people visiting the auction, the better the odds that we can raise some serious money to help fight for Bristol Bay.
This auction is possible due to the very generous contributions of so many companies, lodges and artists. Please support them and support the campaign for Bristol Bay’s future by bidding on an item or two. There’s a great selection, and you should be able to find something you need or want. All starting bids are set below 65% of retail value so you could get a good buy and help a great cause at the same time.
The inventory for the auction is basically set up on a rolling basis, with new items being added every few days. All listings run for 7 days, so there are always items nearing the end of their run.
To see active listings, click here.
- St. Croix “Avid” Series 6-wt fly rod – Sold Jerry in TX for $194.90
- Koktuli River float trip for 2 – Sold to Mike in AZ for $4,000
- Fishpond “Dakota” rod & reel carry-on – Sold to Mike in AZ for $90
- “Tarpon-Red Streamer” print by Derek DeYoung – Sold to Travis in CA for $152.50
- Rainbow River Lodge trip for 2 – Sold to Paul in MI for $7,600
- Cloudveil 8x Pro Waders and Boots – Sold to Michael in NC for $380
- Nautilus FW5 fly reel + SA line – Sold to Steve in IN for $276.50
- Ari ‘t Hart “Trilogy” fly reel by Exclusive Reels – Sold to Bryan in TX for $1,724
- Smith Interlock Spoiler polarized sunglasses – Sold to Frank in CA for $86
- Ross Worldwide “Essence” 7/8 fly rod/reel outfit – Sold to Amy in OR for $112.50
- Leupold 8x42mm “Cascades” binocular – Sold to Keith in CT for $227.50
- Simms “Rivershed” boot w/ Vibram sole – Sold to Robert in Canada for $177.50
- Waterworks “Force” LT2 fly reel + SA line – Sold to Tatsuya in Japan for $295.40
- “Taku” polarized sunglasses by 7Eye – Sold to Demetrios in Canada for $76
- Women’s Flyfishing Alaska’s Denali Highway trip for 1 woman angler + dozen flies + Redington “Chena River” women’s waders – Sold to Kirsten in MA for $525
- Breathable 5-Layer stockingfoot waders by Filson – Sold to Bruce in WA for $180
- “Guide” boots by Korkers – Sold to Tim in CO for $134
- 2 VersiTip Fly Lines from Rio Products – Sold to William in CO for $120
- “Hidden Water” 8-wt travel fly rod by March Brown – Sold to Travis in CA for $142.50
- Drift boat accessories package by Clackacraft – Sold to James in PA for $150
- Simms “Guide” boot w/ Vibram sole – Sold to Mike in GA for $159.26
- Fetha Styx custom rod gift certificate – Sold to Randy in OR for $175
- Lefty Kreh 12-wt fly line by Jim Teeny + Insect Shield Halo shirt by Ex Officio – Sold to James in NC for $75
- St. Croix Premier travel spinning rod – Sold to James in NC for $96
- Smith Optics Spoiler Interlock polarized sunglasses – Sold to Larry in WY for $86
- Galvan T-8 fly reel – Sold to Lynn in NC for $333.89
- Trip for 2 with Reel Wilderness Adventures – Sold to Steve in WA for $4,500
- Origo Fishing Pro watch – Sold to Mike in AZ for $100
- Redington CPX Zip-Front Waders + CPX Boots – Sold to Brian in ID for $235
- Beulah Platinum Series 6-wt Spey Rod – Sold to Gavin in OR for $380
- Hardy Classic Lightweight 3-wt Fly Rod + Hardy Perfect Fly Reel – Sold to Dan in UT for $733.89
- Leupold MX Modular Flashlight – Sold to Kevin in FL for $102.50
- Simms Freestone boot w/ Vibram sole – Sold to Frank in CA for $90
- Costa Del Mar “Harpoon” polarized sunglasses – Sold to Travis in CA for $102.50
- “Cutthroat-Stimulator” print by Canvasfish.com – Sold to Steven in OR for $102.50
- Scott S4 7-Weight Fly Rod – Sold to Frank in CA for $450
- Choice of anyTemple Fork Outfitters fly rod – Sold to William in CO for $257
- Hatch 3 Plus fly reel – Sold to David in TX for $355
- Trip for 2 to No See Um Lodge – Sold to Jim and Amy in VA for $8,500
- Echo Trip Travel Fly Rod + Vosseler Fly Reel & Airflo line – Sold to Sheila in PA for $225
- Trip for 2 to Turneffe Flats in Belize – Sold to Hal in New Brunswick for $4,512
- Sage 6080 fly reel – Sold to James in MA for $375
- Smith Optics “Shelter” polarized sunglasses – Sold to Steve in MA for $76
- St. Croix Legend Ultra 8wt fly rod – Sold to Jeff in CT for $266
- Wildhorse Tech Pack from Fishpond – Sold to Erik in NJ for $177.50
- Clackacraft model drift boat – Sold to Kaari in WA for $103.50
- G4 Guide boot from Simms w/ Vibram sole – Sold to John in GA for $201.76
- CND Spey USA Expert Series spey rod incl. line – Sold to Frank in CA for for $319.77
- Trip for 2 to Miramichi Black Rapids Lodge – Sold to Bill in WV for $1,975
- Filson fly case and reel case – Sold to Mark in MN for $97
- Costa Del Mar “Man O War” polarized sunglasses – Sold to Jeffrey in TX for $73
- Galvan T-6 Torque fly reel w/ Teeny line – Sold to Louis in Quebec for $280
- Leupold 10x42 Cascades binoculars – Sold to Angel in Spain for $280
- Winston Boron II-MX 9-wt fly rod w/ SA line – Sold to Trevor in Australia for $420
- Smith Interlock Spoiler polarized sunglasses – Sold to Michael in WI for $71
- Trip for 2 to Rainbow Point Lodge – Sold to Tom in TX for $7,695
- Original fly sketch of your choice from Jeff Kennedy Studio – Sold to Mike in AZ for $128.50
Items up for bid right now:
- 2 Limited edition prints from Bob White/John Gierach (ends Thur. 4/9) – selling for $175
- Headwaters boots from Simms w/ Vibram sole (ends Fri. 4/10) – selling for $113.50
- “Steelhead – Chromer” print by Derek DeYoung (ends Mon. 4/13) – offered at $75
- St. Croix Premier travel spinning rod (ends Mon. 4/13) – selling for $80
- Smith Optics Interlock Spoiler sunglasses (ends Wed. 4/15) – offered at $50
- Islander LX4.0 fly reel w/ SA line (ends Wed. 4/15) – offered at $350
Items to be listed in next 7 days:
- Orvis ZG Helios 10-weight fly rod – offered at $400
- Henry Repeating Arms hat, t-shirt, mug – offered at $15
- Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor II fly reel – offered at $110
- Smith Optics Hideout sunglasses – offered at $75
- Orvis TLS Power Matrix 4-weight fly rod – offered at $220
- Orvis Safe Passage rod & reel case – offered at $75
The entire schedule of auction items with opening bid amounts is viewable online at the SAA Web site.
IMPORTANT NOTES ON AUCTION TRIP LISTINGS: In a nod to the economic reality of the present time, the Sportsman’s Alliance for Alaska is offering what may possibly be the best deals you’ll ever find on a bunch of fine fishing trips. Here’s the deal: The starting price for all trips will be just $500 over the regular price for 1 angler. That’s right. Basically, book a trip for 1 angler at regular price, and the 2nd person comes along for as little as $500 more! Find a buddy, split the cost, and start packing for your dream trip.
If the trips don’t sell on the auction, nobody wins. If the trips do sell, everybody wins. The top bidder will get a fantastic deal on a “trip of a lifetime.” The lodge will host 2 enthusiastic anglers. And the SAA gets a little more in the bank to help fight the battle to save Bristol Bay.
The SAA recognizes the fact that some of these trips, even at discounted prices, may be difficult to pay for in a single lump sum. SAA is willing to work with buyers on a payment schedule if necessary. However, all trips musts be paid for in full at least 60 days prior to the departure date. Please contact me if you have any questions on this policy.
Available Auction Trips – First come, First served
These trips didn’t sell during their 7-day run on the auction, but they’re still available if you are interested. First come-first served – and there are inquiries percolating on several of these, so if you’re interested, e-mail email@example.com and we’ll see if there’s a way to send you north this summer! We’ve already lined up trips for people to No See Um Lodge, Miramichi Black Rapids Lodge, and Alaska’s Rainbow Point Lodge.
NOTES: All are for “any open dates” in the 2009 season unless noted differently. All are priced at $500 over normal rate for 1 angler, except the trip for 4 people is $1,000 over the normal rate for 2 anglers. You’re probably never going to get a better price on a dream trip like these.
- Kulik Lodge trip for two (July dates), $6,600 – $3,300 per person!
- Bristol Bay / Katmai area
- Copper River Lodge trip for two, $4,800 – $2,400 per person!
- Bristol Bay / Iliamna area
- CA School of Fly Fishing class for one student, $500
- Tahoe area
- Royal Coachman Lodge trip for two, $7,500 – $3,750 per person!
- Bristol Bay / Wood-Tikchik area
- Legend Lodge trip for four, $9,878 – $2,470 per person!
- Bristol Bay / Iliamna area
- Great AK Fishing Lodge trip for two, $5,995 – $2,998 per person!
- Kenai Peninsula with lots of variety
We Want to Draw Moose Hunt Winner by June 15! Need to Move Chances!
SAA has been gathering momentum in the hunting community for support of Bristol Bay. One way we’re raising awareness and some funds is through our special moose hunt promotion. For a $50 donation, donors will receive an entry in a drawing for a 10-day moose hunt in Alaska in September. Entries are capped at 500 total, and limited to no more than 4 per donor. Those are outstanding odds on a drawing for a package worth nearly $12,000. We will draw the winner as soon as 500 entries are achieved or no later than June 15. As if the moose hunt weren’t a good enough prize, the package also includes a Kimber rifle, Leupold scope, and hunting clothing system from Sitka Gear. Currently there are only 138 entries, so we’ve got a good number to fill. Thank you very much to those of you that have donated to this promotion. SAA has done a few recent radio interviews to highlight the moose hunt and there will be an ad running in a big hunting magazine coming soon. Please consider making a donation and tell anyone you know that hunts about this terrific promotion package to help Bristol Bay.
Limited Edition Sockeye Salmon T-shirts
Show your support for Bristol Bay with a limited-edition “No Pebble Mine” James Prosek sockeye salmon t-shirts. Full details can be found here. Now that show season is over, I’ve got my remaining inventory at the office and ready to ship. Discounts available for volume:
* $25 donation = 1 shirt
* $40 donation = 2 shirts
* $50 donation = 3 shirts
Right now, the following sizes/quantities are available:
* Women’s Small, Qty. 5
* Women’s Medium, Qty. 4
* Men’s Medium, Qty. 22
* Men’s Large, Qty. 30 (FYI – I’m 5’10” and 200 lbs. and L works for me)
* Men’s X-Large, Qty. 5
Get one for yourself, your significant other, the kids (after all, they’re ultimately the ones that’ll enjoy Bristol Bay in future years!). If your club hosts an event for kids, contact me and we can work a deal on a larger order. Get the next generation hooked on fishing and conservation!
Other Opportunities to Support the Cause
* Have you seen the No Pebble Mine reels by Abel? Only 100 of these were made, and $200 for each reel sold goes to the fight for Bristol Bay.
* For you wine lovers, I’ve got eight (8) 375ml bottles of 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon from StoneFly Vineyards available as part of the $60 Red Gold dvd/bottle of wine/t-shirt combo deal. First come, first served. E-mail me to claim yours.
That’ll do it for this edition of the SAA E-News and Auction Update. Throughout the course of the auction, weekly updates will continue to be issued on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.
Thanks for all you do for Alaska conservation!
Director – Sportsman’s Alliance for Alaska