May 29, 2008 Newsletter
The fundraising auction for Bristol Bay had a big week, with the gross proceeds topping $24,000! Our list of buyers now includes folks from the U.S., Canada, England, Norway and France. We need to make this issue known worldwide. In fact, I will be traveling to Italy in a few weeks to present to the board of directors of the European Fishing Tackle Trade Association. We’ll get people all over the world fired up about Pebble Mine!
Thank you to the blogs, Web sites, and magazines who are helping spread the word. The greater the number of people visiting the auction, the better the odds are that we can raise some serious money to help fight for Bristol Bay.
NOTE: For any of the trips that did not sell on the auction, contact me if you are interested. We might be able to work something out with those lodges. I’m not promising, but I’ll try. This would be trips to Rainbow River Lodge, No See Um Lodge, Bristol Bay Lodge, Alaska’s Rainbow Point Lodge, and Women’s Fly Fishing Alaska. I know it’s short notice for some of these trips, but let me know if you want me to look into it.
This auction is possible due to the very generous contributions of so many companies, lodges, and artists. Please support them and support the campaign for Bristol Bay’s future by bidding on an item or two. There’s a great selection and you should be able to find something you need or want. All starting bids are set below 70% of retail value, so you might even get a good buy.
The inventory for the auction is basically set up on a rolling basis, with new items being added every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. All listings run for 10 days, so there are always items nearing the end of their run.
Listings Sold (thanks to these buyers!):
- St. Croix Legend Elite 6-weight fly rod (to Steven in MN for $300)
- Galvan R-5 Rush Large Arbor fly reel (to Frank in CA for $168.50)
- Abstract Rainbow Trout print by Derek DeYoung (to Travis in CA for $122.50)
- Set of two signed Bob White/John Gierach prints (to Roger in VT for $300)
- Trip for two to Bear Bay Lodge in Alaska (to Carolyn in UT for $7,750)
- Patagonia full gear system – waders, boots, jacket, etc. (to Chris in AZ for $650)
- Simms duffel bag (to Frank in CA for $102.50)
- Scott G2 2-weight fly rod (to Espen in Norway for $560)
- Islander Precision Reels LX3.8 fly reel (to John in Canada for $406)
- Leupold & Stevens Katmai 8x32 binocular (to Marcus in England for $288)
- Cloudveil 8x Pro Waders and 8x Boots in M’s or W’s (to Carl in Canada for $440)
- Trip for two with Reel Wilderness Adventures in Alaska (to Jack in VT for $5,500)
- Scierra CTC #9/11 fly reel (to Edward in TX for $175)
- Abstract brook trout print by Derek DeYoung (to Randall in CA for $157.50)
- Orvis ZG Helios 8-wt rod + Battenkill large arbor reel and line (to Larry in PA for $770)
- Full-day float trip for two with Yellow Dog Outfitters in Montana (to Paul in CA for $408)
- Hardy Zane Saltwater combo 10-weight rod and No. 2 reel (to Paul in England for $987)
- Fishpond Shooting Star Tech Pack (to Frederic in France for $117.50)
- Trip for two to Turneffe Flats Lodge in Belize (to Carolyn in UT for $5,200)
- Trip for two to Painter Creek Lodge in Alaska for any open week in 2008 or 2009 – ends Saturday, 5/31 (could be yours for $6,000)
- Premium Alaska fly selection from Orvis – ends Saturday, 5/31 (could be yours for $100)
- Certificate for your choice of any fly rod in TFO’s lineup – ends Saturday, 5/31 (top bid is at $200)
- Bauer MacKenzie SuperLite 4 Fly Reel – ends Monday, 6/2 (top bid is at $235)
- Orvis Pro Guide 3 waders and Henry's Fork II wading shoe – ends Monday, 6/2 (could be yours for $300)
- Kaenon Hard Kore C-12 Polarized + ExOfficio Shirt – ends Monday, 6/2 (top bid is at $153)
New Listings this week:
- Orvis Pro Guide 3 waders and Henry’s Fork II wading shoe
- Bauer MacKenzie SuperLite 4 fly reel
- Kaenon Hard Kore C-12 polarized sunglasses + ExOfficio men’s long-sleeve shirt
- G. Loomis StreamDance GLX Trout Fly 5-weight fly rod
- Sockeye Salmon print (unframed) by Sketch and Release
- Filson extra large Outfitter bag
- Hatch 3 Plus fly reel
- Drift boat accessories package from Clackacraft
- Trip for two to Miramichi Black Rapids Lodge in Canada (3-day/4-night) in 2008 or 2009
Please pass this newsletter along to your friends, link the SAA auction page to your Web site, post it on your club’s Web site or newsletter, do whatever you can to keep the momentum growing.
Thanks for your support!
Director – Sportsman’s Alliance for Alaska