March 18 , 2009 Newsletter and Auction Update
A few news items at the start, then we’ll head right into the auction update.
Check the list of unsold auction trips at the end of the newsletter. Some terrific deals are still available at prices you’ll maybe never see again. We’ve already sold one of these trips after the auction closed, and have had other inquiries, so if you’re interested get in touch with me! First-come, first-served.
Sport Show Schedule
Winter shows are in the rear view mirror. Here’s where the SAA will be through the spring and summer. Make plans to come out and visit about Alaska.
- Apr. 18-19 Waynesboro, VA
- Apr. 27 Washington, DC
- June 13-16 Grand Rapids, MI
- July 22-24 Sioux Falls, SD
- July 28-August 1 Loveland, CO
Trip to London in the works
While the SAA won’t personally be in attendance, a delegation of Bristol Bay Natives and commercial fishermen are headed to London in mid-April. The visit will include a VIP screening of Red Gold to U.K. contacts from the realms of media, retail jewelry, sport fishing, and sustainable seafood. SAA has been working with members of the sport fishing community in the U.K. who’ve been tremendously interested and active in the campaign to date. Now they’ll get a chance to do something in their own (and Anglo American’s) backyard!
220+ Organizations & Businesses on Letter to Secretary Salazar for Bristol Bay Protections
The deadline for the Bristol Bay letter to Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar has been extended to Fri., March 27. So far, over 200 entities have signed the letter. Time is running out to lend your support. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info about adding your support.
SAA Radio Interview on Bristol Bay and Pebble Mine
SAA Director, Scott Hed, was recently interviewed on WNYU’s Doppler Effect program. Listen to the interview here.
Bristol Bay Movie Night Events
SAA and Trout Unlimited have got the package to host a successful Bristol Bay movie event. We’d like to have this movie seen as far and wide as possible, so think of a place in your area to show a double-feature of Equilibrium and Red Gold and get involved! Email email@example.com to receive a copy of the guide and other materials.
These Sockeye Salmon (t-shirts) Need to Head Upstream
SORRY, SOLD OUT
Or at least to your house! Show your support for Bristol Bay with a limited-edition “No Pebble Mine” James Prosek sockeye salmon t-shirts. Full details can be found here. Now that show season is over, I’ve got my remaining inventory at the office and ready to ship. Discounts available for volume:
* $25 donation = 1 shirt
* $40 donation = 2 shirts
* $50 donation = 3 shirts
Right now, the following sizes/quantities are available:
* Women’s Small, Qty. 6
* Women’s Medium, Qty. 6
* Men’s Medium, Qty. 24
* Men’s Large, Qty. 39 (FYI – I’m 5’10” and 200 lbs. and L works for me)
* Men’s X-Large, Qty. 12
Get one for yourself, your significant other, the kids (after all, they’re ultimately the ones that’ll enjoy Bristol Bay in future years!). If your club hosts an event for kids, contact me and we can work a deal on a larger order. Get the next generation hooked on fishing and conservation!
Bristol Bay Online Fundraising Auction Update
The second annual fundraising auction for Bristol Bay has roughly a month to go. Gross proceeds have topped $33,000. Thank you to the blogs, web sites and magazines who are helping spread the word. The greater the number of people visiting the auction, the better the odds that we can raise some serious money to help fight for Bristol Bay. Last year’s gross was over $50,000 which is helping raise awareness about Bristol Bay all across the country.
This auction is possible due to the very generous contributions of so many companies, lodges and artists. Please support them and support the campaign for Bristol Bay’s future by bidding on an item or two. There’s a great selection, and you should be able to find something you need or want. All starting bids are set below 65% of retail value so you could get a good buy and help a great cause at the same time.
The inventory for the auction is basically set up on a rolling basis, with new items being added every few days. All listings run for 7 days, so there are always items nearing the end of their run.
To see active listings, click here.
- St. Croix “Avid” Series 6-wt fly rod – Sold Jerry in TX for $194.90
- Koktuli River float trip for 2 – Sold to Mike in AZ for $4,000
- Fishpond “Dakota” rod & reel carry-on – Sold to Mike in AZ for $90
- “Tarpon-Red Streamer” print by Derek DeYoung – Sold to Travis in CA for $152.50
- Rainbow River Lodge trip for 2 – Sold to Paul in MI for $7,600
- Cloudveil 8x Pro Waders and Boots – Sold to Michael in NC for $380
- Nautilus FW5 fly reel + SA line – Sold to Steve in IN for $276.50
- Ari ‘t Hart “Trilogy” fly reel by Exclusive Reels – Sold to Bryan in TX for $1,724
- Smith Interlock Spoiler polarized sunglasses – Sold to Frank in CA for $86
- Ross Worldwide “Essence” 7/8 fly rod/reel outfit – Sold to Amy in OR for $112.50
- Leupold 8x42mm “Cascades” binocular – Sold to Keith in CT for $227.50
- Simms “Rivershed” boot w/ Vibram sole – Sold to Robert in Canada for $177.50
- Waterworks “Force” LT2 fly reel + SA line – Sold to Tatsuya in Japan for $295.40
- “Taku” polarized sunglasses by 7Eye – Sold to Demetrios in Canada for $76
- Women’s Flyfishing Alaska’s Denali Highway trip for 1 woman angler + dozen flies + Redington “Chena River” women’s waders – Sold to Kirsten in MA for $525
- Breathable 5-Layer stockingfoot waders by Filson – Sold to Bruce in WA for $180
- “Guide” boots by Korkers – Sold to Tim in CO for $134
- 2 VersiTip Fly Lines from Rio Products – Sold to William in CO for $120
- “Hidden Water” 8-wt travel fly rod by March Brown – Sold to Travis in CA for $142.50
- Drift boat accessories package by Clackacraft – Sold to James in PA for $150
- Simms “Guide” boot w/ Vibram sole – Sold to Mike in GA for $159.26
- Fetha Styx custom rod gift certificate – Sold to Randy in OR for $175
- Lefty Kreh 12-wt fly line by Jim Teeny + Insect Shield Halo shirt by Ex Officio – Sold to James in NC for $75
- St. Croix Premier travel spinning rod – Sold to James in NC for $96
- Smith Optics Spoiler Interlock polarized sunglasses – Sold to Larry in WY for $86
- Galvan T-8 fly reel – Sold to Lynn in NC for $333.89
- Trip for 2 with Reel Wilderness Adventures – Sold to Steve in WA for $4,500
- Origo Fishing Pro watch – Sold to Mike in AZ for $100
- Redington CPX Zip-Front Waders + CPX Boots – Sold to Brian in ID for $235
- Beulah Platinum Series 6-wt Spey Rod – Sold to Gavin in OR for $380
- Hardy Classic Lightweight 3-wt Fly Rod + Hardy Perfect Fly Reel – Sold to Dan in UT for $733.89
- Leupold MX Modular Flashlight – Sold to Kevin in FL for $102.50
- Simms Freestone boot w/ Vibram sole – Sold to Frank in CA for $90
- Costa Del Mar “Harpoon” polarized sunglasses – Sold to Travis in CA for $102.50
- “Cutthroat-Stimulator” print by Canvasfish.com – Sold to Steven in OR for $102.50
- Scott S4 7-Weight Fly Rod – Sold to Frank in CA for $450
- Choice of anyTemple Fork Outfitters fly rod – Sold to William in CO for $257
- Hatch 3 Plus fly reel – Sold to David in TX for $355
- Trip for 2 to No See Um Lodge – Sold to Jim and Amy in VA for $8,500
Items up for bid right now:
- Echo Trip Travel Fly Rod + Vosseler Fly Reel & Airflo line (ends Thu., 3/19) – offered at $225
- Trip for 2 to Turneffe Flats in Belize (ends Fri., 3/20) – offered at $4,412
- Sage 6080 fly reel (ends Fri., 3/20) – selling for $375
- “Shelter” polarized sunglasses from Smith Optics (ends Fri., 3/20) – selling for $40
- St. Croix Legend Ultra 8wt fly rod (ends Fri., 3/20) – selling for $200
- Wildhorse Tech Pack from Fishpond (ends Sat., 3/21) – selling for $127.50
- Clackacraft model drift boat (ends Tue., 3/24) – selling for $51.02
- Whitetail deer antler chandelier from Clear Creek Lighting (ends Tue., 3/24) – offered at $700
- Set of 2 Bob White / John Gierach prints (ends Wed., 3/25) – offered at $225
Items to be listed in next 7 days:
- Trip for 2 to Gallatin River Lodge – offered at $2,175
- G4 Guide boot from Simms w/ Vibram sole – offered at $125
- Trip for 2 to Miramichi Black Rapids Lodge – offered at $1,800
- CND Spey USA Expert Series spey rod incl. line – offered at $260
- Filson fly case and reel case – offered at $75
The entire schedule of auction items with opening bid amounts is viewable online at the SAA web site.
IMPORTANT NOTES ON AUCTION TRIP LISTINGS: In a nod to the economic reality of the present time, the Sportsman’s Alliance for Alaska is offering what may possibly be the best deals you’ll ever find on a bunch of fine fishing trips. Here’s the deal: The starting price for all trips will be just $500 over the regular price for 1 angler. That’s right. Basically, book a trip for 1 angler at regular price, and the 2nd person comes along for as little as $500 more! Find a buddy, split the cost, and start packing for your dream trip.
If the trips don’t sell on the auction, nobody wins. If the trips do sell, everybody wins. The top bidder will get a fantastic deal on a “trip of a lifetime.” The lodge will host 2 enthusiastic anglers. And the SAA gets a little more in the bank to help fight the battle to save Bristol Bay.
The SAA recognizes the fact that some of these trips, even at discounted prices, may be difficult to pay for in a single lump sum. SAA is willing to work with buyers on a payment schedule if necessary. However, all trips musts be paid for in full at least 60 days prior to the departure date. Please contact me if you have any questions on this policy.
These trips didn’t sell during their 7-day run on the auction, but they’re still available if you are interested. First come-first served – and a few days ago the trip to No See Um Lodge was snapped up. If you’re interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll see if there’s a way to send you north this summer!
NOTES: All are for “any open dates” in the 2009 season unless noted differently. All are priced at $500 over normal rate for 1 angler, except the trip for 4 people is $1,000 over the normal rate for 2 anglers. You’re probably never going to get a better price on a dream trip like these.
- Kulik Lodge trip for 2,
$6,600 – $3,300 per person!
- Copper River Lodge trip for 2
$4,800 – $2,400 per person!
- Rainbow Point Lodge trip for 2
$7,495 – $3,748 per person!
- CA School of Fly Fishing class for 1 student
- Royal Coachman Lodge trip for 2
$7,500 – $3,750 per person!
- Legend Lodge trip for 4
$9,878 – $2,470 per person!
- Great AK Fishing Lodge trip for 2
$5,995 – $2,998 per person!
Other Opportunities to Support the Cause
* Have you seen the No Pebble Mine reels by Abel? Only 100 of these were made, and $200 for each reel sold goes to the fight for Bristol Bay.
* Find out how you could go on a once-in-a-lifetime Alaska moose hunt and get some incredible gear for the trip too. Chances to be drawn are capped at 1 in 500, and one donor will be very happy to have helped the cause through this special promotion. Lots of these were claimed at the RMEF event.
* For you wine lovers, how about an order of your favorite vintage from Stonefly Vineyards? Stonefly is the official winery of the Federation of Fly Fishers, and they’re offering a great way to support the Bristol Bay campaign. I’ve got eight (8) 375ml bottles of 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon available as part of the $60 Red Gold dvd/bottle of wine/t-shirt combo deal. First come, first served. Email me to claim yours and make a donation through the SAA Web site.
That’ll do it for this edition of the SAA E-News and Auction Update. Throughout the course of the auction, weekly updates will continue to be issued on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.
Thanks for all you do for Alaska conservation!
Director – Sportsman’s Alliance for Alaska