June 4 , 2008 Newsletter
Limited Edition “No Pebble Mine” Reel
This week we’ll start with a few news items before checking in on the success of the Bristol Bay auction.
Abel Automatics has produced a limited edition of 100 Super 5N reels to benefit the Sportsman’s Alliance for Alaska. Abel will donate $200 from the sale of each reel to the Sportsman’s Alliance for Alaska to assist our conservation campaigns. The SAA already received the first check from Abel just last week – thanks! Get yours before this limited edition is sold out.
Travel Schedule (and how it affects the auction)
SAA’s Director, Scott Hed, will be traveling to Italy beginning Tuesday, June 10. I’ll be flying home on Tuesday, June 17. I have been invited to exhibit at the European Fishing Tackle Trade Expo and to brief members of the global fishing products community on the Bristol Bay situation. While I am away, I will have sporadic access to e-mail and the Internet. I’ll do my best to handle auction questions in a timely fashion, but apologize in advance if I’m not as responsive as usual. While I am out of the office, please be aware that I won’t be able to ship items out to winning bidders, so there will be a slight delay in receiving items that sell while I’m away.
The fundraising auction for Bristol Bay has now topped $26,400 in gross proceeds! Thanks for all of your support so far, but keep visiting the SAA auction page – there are plenty of great items and trips still to be sold.
Thank you to the blogs, Web sites, and magazines who are helping spread the word. The greater the number of people visiting the auction, the better the odds are that we can raise some serious money to help fight for Bristol Bay.
This auction is possible due to the very generous contributions of so many companies, lodges and artists. Please support them and support the campaign for Bristol Bay’s future by bidding on an item or two. There’s a great selection, and you should be able to find something you need or want. All starting bids are set below 70% of retail value, so you might even get a good buy.
The inventory for the auction is basically set up on a rolling basis, with new items being added every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. All listings run for 10 days, so there are always items nearing the end of their run.
Listings Sold (thanks to these buyers!):
- St. Croix Legend Elite 6-weight fly rod (to Steven in MN for $300)
- Galvan R-5 Rush Large Arbor fly reel (to Frank in CA for $168.50)
- Abstract Rainbow Trout print by Derek DeYoung (to Travis in CA for $122.50)
- Set of two signed Bob White/John Gierach prints (to Roger in VT for $300)
- Trip for two to Bear Bay Lodge in Alaska (to Carolyn in UT for $7,750)
- Patagonia full gear system – waders, boots, jacket, etc. (to Chris in AZ for $650)
- Simms duffel bag (to Frank in CA for $102.50)
- Scott G2 2-weight fly rod (to Espen in Norway for $560)
- Islander Precision Reels LX3.8 fly reel (to John in Canada for $406)
- Leupold & Stevens Katmai 8x32 binocular (to Marcus in England for $288)
- Cloudveil 8x Pro Waders and 8x Boots in M’s or W’s (to Carl in Canada for $440)
- Trip for two with Reel Wilderness Adventures in Alaska (to Jack in VT for $5,500)
- Scierra CTC #9/11 fly reel (to Edward in TX for $175)
- Abstract brook trout print by Derek DeYoung (to Randall in CA for $157.50)
- Orvis ZG Helios 8-wt rod + Battenkill large arbor reel & line (to Larry in PA for $770)
- Full-day float trip for two with Yellow Dog Outfitters in Montana (to Paul in CA for $408)
- Hardy Zane Saltwater combo 10-weight rod & No. 2 reel (to Paul in England for $987)
- Fishpond Shooting Star Tech Pack (to Frederic in France for $117.50)
- Trip for two to Turneffe Flats Lodge in Belize (to Carolyn in UT for $5,200)
- Simms G4 Pro Jacket (to John in IL for $455)
- Full-day float trip for one with Kirk Deeter & Tim Romano from Field & Stream magazine’s “Fly Talk” blog + Kaenon polarized sunglasses & Jim Teeny fly line (to Mike in MI for $560)
- Certificate for your choice of any fly rod in TFO’s lineup (to David in CA for $222.50)
- Orvis Pro Guide 3 waders & Henry’s Fork II wading shoe (to Ed in England for $410)
- Bauer MacKenzie SuperLite 4 fly reel (to David in OH for $263)
- Kaenon Hard Kore C-12 polarized sunglasses + ExOfficio men’s long-sleeve shirt (to Andrew in Canada for $177.50)
- G. Loomis StreamDance GLX Trout Fly 5-weight fly rod – ends Thursday, 6/5 (current top bid is $405)
- Sockeye Salmon print (unframed) by Sketch and Release – ends Thursday, 6/5 (could be yours for $75)
- Filson extra large Outfitter bag – ends Thursday, 6/5 (could be yours for $250)
- Hatch 3 Plus fly reel – ends Saturday, 6/7 (current top bid is $357)
- Drift boat accessories package from Clackacraft – ends Saturday, 6/7 (could be yours for $165)
- Trip for two to Miramichi Black Rapids Lodge in Canada (3-day/4-night) in 2008 or 2009 – ends Saturday, 6/7 (could be yours for $1,800)
- Elkhorn 5X Series 3-weight fly rod – ends Sunday, 6/8 (could be yours for $135)
- Custom Duck Call from Heidelbauer Wildfowl Calls – ends Monday, 6/9 (current top bid is $265)
- Costa Del Mar “Man-o’-War” sunglasses – ends Monday, 6/9 (current top bid is $125)
- Safe Passage rolling duffel bag from Orvis – ends Monday, 6/9 (current top bid is $130)
- Trip for two to Pesca Maya Lodge in Mexico for any open week in 2008 plus two pair of Smith Optics sunglasses – ends Tuesday, 6/10 (could be yours for $3,650 – price reduction + bonus items!)
New Listings this week:
- Nautilus FW 5Plus fly reel
- Kaenon Hard Kore C-28 polarized sunglasses + one dozen flies from “Pudge” Kleinkauf in Alaska
- Korkers Streamborn wading boots + “Shelter” polarized sunglasses from Smith Optics
- Trip for two to Bristol Bay area (5 days/5 nights) with Katmai Fishing Adventures for any open dates in 2008 or 2009
- Beulah Fly Rods Switch 7/8 fly rod + Elixir fly line
- Snake River Outfitters SRO-1 spey reel + CND spey line
- Redington women’s Chena River waders and boots
- Trip for two to Alaska’s Legend Lodge on Lake Iliamna for any open week in 2008 or 2009
Please pass this newsletter along to your friends, link the SAA auction page to your web site, post it on your club’s website or newsletter, do whatever you can to keep the momentum growing.
Thanks for your support!
Scott Hed – Director
Sportsman’s Alliance for Alaska